Guidelines for Disposable Items
Refer to the Online Recycling and Disposal Resource Guide
for information regarding the recycling and disposal of refuse.
The following items are banned from all County residential pick-up services.
- Lumber and yard trimmings exceeding three feet in length
- Concrete blocks, tile, cement, and iron pipes
- Acids, explosives, gasoline, non-solidified paint, and bulk liquids
- Dead animals and animal feces (animal waste should be flushed down the toilet)
- Large appliances, water heaters, microwaves, stereos, computers and televisions
- Mattresses, box springs, furniture, water tanks, propane tanks, sinks, or other weighty or bulky items
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
HHW can be landfilled according to EPA regulations, but hazardous liquids or paint cannot
be put in your trash for pick-up. Solidify, triple-bag and take to the landfill
Collection Preparation Guidelines
Guidelines For Automated and Manual Collection Services
Guidelines for Manual Collection Services
- Place containers no more than five feet from curb, make accessible, and not blocked by vehicles.
- Allow a minimum five feet of clearance from plants, mailboxes, concrete walls, fences, etc.
- All containers must be placed at one collection point.
- Each container must have the house number painted on it (do not label County-owned automated carts).
- Broken glass and sawdust must be double-bagged.
- Containers or bags must not exceed 32 gallons or weigh more than 50 pounds.
- Each individual container or bag counts as a single container.
- Six allowable containers, regardless of size.
- Yard trimmings must be bundled and not exceed three feet in length or 50 pounds in weight.
- Addresses with more than one account must not combine containers, but separate containers by account.
Kokua! Report Illegal Dumping
Please help! Illegal dumping is unsightly and may be dangerous to public health and safety. Report illegal dumping to the Maui Police Department, at (808) 244-6400, and to the State of Hawaii Department of Health at (808) 984-8230.