Temporary Restraining Order

Who is Eligible?
You are eligible for this type of restraining order if you have lived with the abuser or some time in the past and have recently been the victim of abuse and/or threat of abuse by the abuser.

How to File a Restraining Order
To file for a restraining order, you must contact Parents and Children Together (PACT) at 244-2330 or Women Helping Women at 242-0775. They will assist you in filling out the forms, including a statement of the history of abusive behavior. The petition is filed with the Adult Services Branch, Family Court. There is no charge.

On Lanai, you may call Women Helping Women at 565-6700. For assistance on Molokai, contact Alternatives to Violence (ATV) at 553-3202.

When is the Restraining Order Granted?
A Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) is granted after a judge reviews and signs the petition. You will receive a copy, and two copies will go to the Police Department, one to be served to the respondent and one for the police to keep on file. Be sure to always have your certified TRO in your immediate possession. Once the responsible is served, he/she becomes accountable to follow the restrictions found in the TRO.

What Happens Next?
A court hearing will be set within 15 days from the time the initial order is granted. You and the abuser are expected to be present. Sometimes the respondent may be represented by an attorney at the hearing. You may want to consult with the agency that assisted you in filing for the TRO on how best to proceed. If the judge determines the restraining order is necessary for your protection and welfare, the TRO then becomes an “Order of Protection” that can extend from a few months to as long as a period of years.