Families should be prepared for all hazards that could affect their area. This includes developing a personal preparation plan
and an emergency survival kit
During a hurricane or tropical storm, you should:
- Stay away from windows and doors, even if they are covered.
- Close all interior doors and brace exterior doors if possible.
- Take refuge in a small interior room, closet, hallway, or basement, if available.
- Lie on the floor under a table or another sturdy object.
- Some protection is afforded by covering with a mattress during the height of the storm.
- If the eye of the storm passes over, it will be calm for a short period of time. Remain indoors!
- As soon as the eye passes over, winds will increase rapidly to hurricane force from the opposite direction; remain calm. It may take several hours for the storm to pass.