Department of Agriculture
The County of Maui’s Department of Agriculture will support the development and continued management of a sustainable regional agricultural system for Maui County, to promote resident and ecosystem health and well-being and create a thriving circular agro-economic system that can be a model for the rest of the world.
- Develop a sustainable regional agricultural system for Maui County.
- Build the economic resiliency of the county's communities by increasing opportunities in the agricultural sector.
- Boost resident health and food security through ensuring access to locally grown agricultural products.
- Promote healthy ecosystems through natural-resource regeneration and protection, including through advising other agencies and the council on all programs and projects that affect the agricultural section.
- Develop and implement programs to diversity and expand sustainable forms of agriculture.
- Report to the mayor and council annually on the County's overall performance in meeting agriculture objectives and any barriers that could be addressed by ordinance.
- Perform other duties and functions as assigned by the mayor or managing director.
In November 2020, Maui County residents voted in favor of establishing the Department of Agriculture. An agriculture working group was established in 2021 to come up with the initial recommendations and guidance for the establishment of the Department of Agriculture. Through their hard work, collaboration and feedback from a variety of stakeholders and memberrs of the public, initial recommendations were formulated for consideration.
|Shan Tsutsui/Grant Nakama||Mahi Pono|
|Kimo Falconer||Maui Coffee Growers Association|
|James Tavares||Maui Association of Landscape Professionals|
|David and Carol Brown||Maui Flower Growers|
|Brendan Balthazar||Maui Cattlemans Association|
|Geoff Haines||Waipoli Hydroponic Greens|
|Joshua "Shyloh" Stafford-Jones||Agronomy|
|Annette Niles||Kula Farmer (Ag Working Group)|
|Bobby Pahia||Hoaloha Farms (Ag Working Group)|
|Ryan Duffy||Hemp Growers|
Community & Stakeholder Feedback
Community and Stakeholder feedback continues to be gathered and shape the direction of the establishment of the Department of Agriculture. Written comments can be sent to the Mayors Office.
Agriculture and Public Trust Committee Meeting
The Agriculture and Public Trust Committee held a meeting on January 18, 2022 to receive an update from the administration on the establishment of the Department of Agriculture. Community and Stakeholder feedback received thus far was incorporated into the revised presentation.
APT Committee Meeting
January 18, 2022