- Environmental Management
- Environmental Protection & Sustainability Services
- Abandoned Vehicles and Metals
- Junk Vehicle Disposal Assistance Program
Junk Vehicle Disposal Assistance Program
NEW RULES Effective March 16, 2020The Junk Vehicle Disposal Assistance Program assists residents to dispose of junk vehicles legally and properly in an attempt to reduce the number of abandoned vehicles on public roadways. If all eligibility criteria are met, registered owners will be allowed to dispose of two vehicles per year at no charge.
To participate in this program:
- Review all instructions and eligibility requirements.
- If you are eligible, download and print:
- Where is the DMVL?
- Where is the Metals Recycling Facility?
- Are electric vehicles eligible for this program?
- My car is a commercial vehicle used for our business. Is it eligible?
- I only live here for part of the year, but my car is registered on Maui. Is it eligible?
- My car doesn’t run and has missing parts. Can I still participate in the program?
- I don’t have the title anymore, but it was registered in my name. What should I do to participate?
Please review carefully. If any of these criteria are not met, the recycling facility may charge you for disposal or refuse the vehicle. Vehicles that are refused and abandoned at the site will be deemed as “Derelict” by the Department of Environmental Management and will be disposed of at the owner’s expense, according to regular procedures.
Registered Owner Eligibility
- The vehicles registered by residents in County of Maui. Vehicles for residential use only, no commercial vehicles will be accepted.
- Registered owners may dispose of two vehicles per calendar year. The facility will keep a log of all registered owners who participate in this program.
- Registered owners must be present to submit all documentation at the time of vehicle delivery, even if the vehicle is being towed there.
- The vehicle title must be in the same name as the identification presented to the metals recycling facility.
- If there is more than one name on the title, all named must be present when presenting the vehicle to the metals recycling facility. If all cannot be present, call the AVM office at 808-270-6102.
- Vehicles must be regular passenger vehicles, pick-up trucks, or vans up to 3 tons, at the discretion of the facility. Heavy equipment, mini-buses, and generally any vehicle over 3 tons are not eligible for this program.
- NO camper shells that can be detached from the vehicle will be accepted. Camper shells must be removed from vehicle or the facility may charge.
- Vehicle can have up to five (5) tires mounted or within the vehicle and no more. More than 5 tires will be charged or refused.
- Vehicle must be clean and clear of household trash, hazardous waste, extra tires, or any other excessive waste items. Determination of “excessive waste” will be made at the discretion of the recycling facility.
- Vehicles can be “wet” (containing fluids) or “dry” (fluids drained); operational or non-operational; and with parts removed or not.
- Electric or hybrid-electric vehicles are eligible ONLY if the battery is removed. The metals recycling facility will not accept electric batteries. If your vehicle arrives with the battery, your vehicle may be refused by the metals recycling facility.
- You must meet all eligibility and title junking requirements before delivering your vehicle to the metals recycling facility. If your vehicle is not eligible, you may be charged or your vehicle may be refused by the facility.
- Ensure you have a valid government issued photo identification, which must match name on title. If delivering the vehicle on behalf of a family member (such as a father who is deceased or a relative that is physically unable), for further information, please call the Abandoned Vehicle and Metals Office at (808) 270-6102, prior to delivering the vehicle to the metals recycling facility.
- Complete, sign, and date the “JVDAP Intake Form.” This form can be found on our webpage at: www.mauicounty.gov/avm or contact our office to have the form mailed or emailed to you.
- Make sure you have all the correct documentation and that you meet all the eligibility requirements. Please reference the checklist below:
What to bring when you take your vehicle to Hammerhead:
- Valid government issued photo ID
- Vehicle’s original title (see pages 1-2 of the JVDAP Eligibility Requirements, Title Requirements section)
- Current or expired vehicle registration (if you have, although not required)
- Vehicle’s license plates
- JVDAP Intake Form completed, signed and dated
- DMVL documents, if applicable
- Deliver your vehicle to Hammerhead Metals Recycling located in the Central Maui Baseyard. Call ahead for hours and instructions. You must be present at time of delivery to submit all documents.
(808) 280-88442000 Mokulele HwyPuunene, HI 96784(808) 280-8844Hours: M-F 7:00 am – 2:30 pmFirst Saturday: 8:00 am - 11:30