Housing Choice Voucher Section 8 Program
Housing Choice Voucher Program Overview
Information you may want to know
- Emergency Housing Vouchers Notice
- Section 8 Waitlist Information - Application Information
- Section 8 Waitlist - How to Report Changes in Contact Information
- If you have been selected for placement on the waiting list, your status will say “Active”. While you remain on the waiting list, you must immediately inform the County of Maui of changes in contact information, including current residence, mailing address, and phone number. All changes must be submitted in writing to our office. You may submit changes via email to: Section 8 Program.
- If you have not been selected for placement on the waiting list, your status will say “Inactive” and you may re-apply again when the waiting list re-opens.
- HCV Landlord Resources
- Information for Potential Landlords
- Section 8 Income Limits and Payment Standards
- Utility Allowance for Maui, Molokai and Lanai
- 2016 Public Housing Administration (PHA) Plan
- FY23 Annual PHA Plan
- Family Self Sufficiency Program –FSS
- Homeownership Option Program- HOP
- Violence Against Women Act of 2013 (VAWA)
- Request For Proposal Selection
The purpose of the Housing Choice Voucher program is to provide rental assistance to eligible families. The rules and regulations of the HCV program are determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The PHA is afforded choices in the operation of the program which are included in the PHA’s administrative plan, a document approved by the board of commissioners of the PHA.
The HCV program offers mobility to eligible families because they may search for suitable housing anywhere in the PHA’s jurisdiction and may also be eligible to move under portability to other PHA’s jurisdictions.
When a family is determined to be eligible for the program and funding is available, the PHA issues the family a housing voucher. When the family finds a suitable housing unit and funding is available, the PHA will enter into a contract with the owner and the family will enter into a lease with the owner. Each party makes their respective payment to the owner so that the owner receives full rent.
Even though the family is determined to be eligible for the program, the owner has the responsibility of approving the family as a suitable renter. The PHA continues to make payments to the owner as long as the family is eligible and the housing unit continues to qualify under the program