Fire Prevention Bureau
COVID-19 Precautionary Measures
In light of the growing concern regarding COVID-19 coronavirus, the Maui Fire Department will be cancelling all events that are currently scheduled. In addition, we will not be scheduling any public education events until further notice.
The Fire Prevention Bureau works to abate fire and life-safety hazards before they can cause injury and property damage.
The Code Enforcement section focuses on the enforcement of fire codes and regulations. They perform inspections, investigate complaints, answer questions from the public, and assist with other tasks as needed.
The Fire Education section is responsible for developing and implementing programs that will increase the public's awareness of fire safety. This includes an annual fire safety program for Maui County schools, which has proven to be worthwhile in several instances where children used what they learned and saved lives.
The Smoke Alarm Maui program (SAM) is an ongoing program that promotes fire safety by providing and installing smoke alarms free of charge in the homes of qualifying applicants.
- Smoke Alarm Maui Program (SAM) information and application
- Community Event Participation Request - Cancelled due to Covid19
- Station Tour Request Form - Cancelled due to Covid19
The Fire Investigation section is responsible for determining the causes of fires. They also prepare investigative reports and give testimony in court regarding investigative procedures and findings.
The Plans Reviewing section reviews building plans during the permit process and conducts preliminary site assessments to ensure that fire safety standards are being met prior to construction. This section also reviews permit applications for exhibitions, carnivals, and other similar types of public assemblies.
The Fire Prevention Bureau responsible for issuing a variety of special permits, including:
- Fire Protection Permit (FPP)
- Aerial Fireworks Use & Purchase Permit (FFWA)
- Compressed Gases Permit (FCGS)
- Explosives & Blasting Agent Permit (FEBA)
- Firecracker Permit (FFWP)
- Fireworks License (FFWL)
- Flammable & Combustible Tank Permit (FTNK)
- Flammable Finish Facility Permit (FAFF)
- Temporary Membrane Structure Application (FTMP)
- Hazardous Materials Permit (FHAZ)
- Liquefied Petroleum Gases Permit (FLPG)