The Department of the Prosecuting Attorney for the County of Maui serves the islands of Maui, Molokai, and Lanai. It is responsible for the prosecution of those who violate the criminal and traffic laws or rules and regulations of the State of Hawaii and the County of Maui. The department has various divisions including:
- Appellate and Forfeiture Division
- Circuit Court Division - Felony Prosecution
- District Court Division -Misdemeanor Prosecution
- Family Court Division - Juvenile and Domestic Violence
- Felony Screening Division
- Investigative Services Division
- Victim/Witness Assistance Division
The department is administered by the Prosecuting Attorney, who is appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the County Council. The central office is located in the Old Courthouse in Wailuku. The department employs deputy prosecuting attorneys, legal support staff, investigators and victim/witness counselors to perform its duties and functions. All services are offered at no cost.
E `IMI KAULIKE ME KE ALOHA
“To pursue justice with integrity, fairness, and compassion.”
Integrity: We are honest, ethical, and hold ourselves to the highest standards of professional
and personal conduct. We administer justice fairly.
Dignity & Respect: We treat everyone with dignity and respect by listening, having patience,
being courteous, and communicating with transparency and honesty.
Compassion & Empathy: We embrace diverse views, support victims of crime and our
community, and strive to make a positive difference.
Accountability: We are responsible, efficient, and humble leaders and continuously strive to
Excellence: We collaborate to ensure excellence in our work, incorporate new ideas and best
practices, and take pride in our service to the public.
- Foster public confidence in the Department and in the Criminal Justice System through the diligent pursuit of justice by ethically, fairly, and effectively prosecuting cases.
- Ensure that those affected by crime are respected and supported through a victim-centered approach.
- Develop and implement modern, innovative programs that help keep our community safe.
- Create a culture of integrity, personal accountability, cooperation, and learning in which all professionals can perform at the highest levels.
- Strive to attract and retain the very best team of professionals who share the Department’s values and reflect the diversity of our community.