To help the people of Maui County manage growth and preserve land in an equitable and sustainable manner that balances cultural, environmental, and economic needs. Quality service is provided by seeking efficiency and offering consistent and timely information with integrity and Aloha.
The Department of Planning offers technical advice to the Mayor, County Council and commissions; proposes zoning legislation; drafts updates to the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and Community Plans; presents reports & recommendations on development proposals; and oversees programs on cultural resources, census and geographic information, flood plain permits and other special projects and permits.
- The next public meeting is scheduled for 8:00 am December 13, 2022 for the SMA and Shoreline Rules amendments. Read the recent updates to the proposed
- Zoning Division Plans Review Section closing Wednesdays beginning November 16, 2022 - see the press release for details.
- Application of the Sea Level Rise (SLR-XA) guidance and standard wording for SMA Assessments
- Effective April 18, 2022, the Department of Planning is accepting permit applications via MAPPS, Maui's Automated Planning and Permitting System. Variance and appeal applications may be submitted with paper applications.
- Vacation rental enforcement quarterly report as of September 30, 2022 available here
- The County Council adopted Ordinance No. 5316, which took effect on January 7, 2022 and established a moratorium on new transient accommodations for two years or until the Council adopts a tourism management ordinance(s), whichever is sooner. Except for Bed and Breakfast permit applications, the Planning Department cannot accept any new permit applications for Short-Term Rental Homes or other types of vacation rentals on the island of Maui. Existing permits can be renewed and existing operations can be repaired or renovated but not in a way that adds new or expands vacation rental units.
- 2021 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Maui County Community Plans
- 2021 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Countywide Policy and Maui Island Plans
- 2nd Circuit Court determines lots within State Land Use Rural District and zoned Rural by the County of Maui may be allowed more than one accessory dwelling in accordance with Chapter 19.35of the Maui County Code. Read the Declaratory Ruling here.
- The Planning Department's consultant, Moss Adams, has been working to develop a five-year Strategic Plan for the Department. Click on the link to review the plan
- Memorandums of Understanding with vacation rental online platform hosts Airbnb 07/28/2021 and Expedia 07/30/2021
- Quarterly update of Conditional Permits
- Short-Term Occupancy List as of April 27, 2022
- Maui Island Plan directed growth maps
- Community Plan maps
- Digital zoning maps
- Project status viewer
- Lahaina National Historic Landmark District map
- Combined map viewer
- State of Hawaii Special Management Area maps
- Hawaii Sea Level Rise Viewer
- FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps
- Maui County shoreline access location map
General and Community Plans
- General Plan 2030 Opens a New Window.
- Countywide Policy Plan
- Maui Island Plan
Current Planning Division
The Current division analyzes and reviews development proposals including environmental assessments, community plan amendments, change in zoning, project district, special management and historic district permits.
Long Range Planning Division
The Long Range Planning division prepares the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, and administers special planning and cultural resource projects. The GIS section analyzes land development data and prepares digital maps.
Plan Implementation Division
The Plan Implementation Division Opens a New Window. is responsible for General Plan monitoring and implementation; Capital Improvement Program (CIP) reporting; and the initiation, preparation, and coordination of revisions to county zoning ordinances and regulations. This Division undertakes projects and programs to implement the recommendations in the Countywide Policy Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, including drafting and tracking legislation.