To manage growth in a sustainable manner that balances our economy, culture and environment. Quality service is provided by seeking efficiency and offering consistent and timely information with integrity and Aloha.
The Department of Planning offers technical advice to the Mayor, County Council and commissions; proposes zoning legislation; drafts updates to the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and Community Plans; presents reports & recommendations on development proposals; and oversees programs on cultural resources, census and geographic information, flood plain permits and other special projects and permits.
COVID-19 update for the Planning Department:
Revised procedures for permit applications and inquiries due to COVID-19: general inquiries may be made by phone or email, and personnel will strive to respond within one business day.
Planning email: email@example.com
Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division phone: 270-7253
Current Planning Division phone: 270-8205
Visitors to Maui County who require 10-day mandatory quarantine must stay at a hotel or motel prior to rental of a condominium, Bed and Breakfast Home or Short-Term Rental Home.County of Maui COVID-19 general information page
- Pending permit applications by community plan area now available for public viewing
- January 26, 2021 Workshop on Proposed Special Management Area and Shoreline Rules Amendments
- Proposed SMA & Shoreline Rule Amendments community meeting presentation
October 22, 2019 presentation on Climate Crisis, Sea Level Rise, and Erosion by Chip Fletcher, PhD from UH Manoa/Honolulu Climate Change Commission
- Frequently Asked Questions about Maui SMA and Shoreline Rules
- Proposed Amendments to Maui SMA Rules
- Proposed Amendments to Maui Shoreline Rules
- GIS users can download the Shapefile for Maui County zoning from the Hawaii Statewide GIS Program
- Publicly accessible Land Use Viewer for visualizing and overlaying various county land use datasets
- Maui County online atlas for shoreline access - with over 200 public access locations and their features
- Quarterly Update of Conditional Permits as of June 30, 2021
- 2020 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Maui County Community Plans
- 2020 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Countywide Policy Plan and Maui Island Plan
- Short-Term Occupancy List as of August 18, 2021
General and Community Plans
- General Plan 2030 Opens a New Window.
- Countywide Policy Plan
- Maui Island Plan
Current Planning Division
The Current division analyzes and reviews development proposals including environmental assessments, community plan amendments, change in zoning, project district, special management and historic district permits.
Long Range Planning Division
The Long Range Planning division prepares the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, and administers special planning and cultural resource projects. The GIS section analyzes land development data and prepares digital maps.
Plan Implementation Division
The Plan Implementation Division Opens a New Window. is responsible for General Plan monitoring and implementation; Capital Improvement Program (CIP) reporting; and the initiation, preparation, and coordination of revisions to county zoning ordinances and regulations. This Division undertakes projects and programs to implement the recommendations in the Countywide Policy Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, including drafting and tracking legislation.
Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division (ZAED)
The ZAED division responds to zoning questions, reviews the zoning requirements for building permit and subdivision applications and handles enforcement of the zoning codes.